I have Fahr's Syndrome

 I'm only just starting to learn about my diagnosis and what exactly it means for my "future".

And I put future in quotes on purpose because I'm not exactly sure what kind of future I can expect. 

There isn't much written about Fahr's Syndrome or Fahr's Disease because it's pretty rare and there isn't a cure. 

And I'm pretty sure because it is so rare,  there will never be a cure,  so right now,  the symptoms just get treated until treatment no longer works. 

So, what I understand at this point is that I have bilateral calcifications in my brain at my basal ganglia (& other areas) and apparently this is not good.  The calcifications can't really be removed and apparently they enlarge and as they do,  they cause damage to the brain. 

Impairments that can't be corrected. 

These impairments lead to symptoms like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's,  or both. 

So, essentially,  my brain will shut down my body. 

I started having symptoms years ago but no one put together my memory loss and seizures with Fahr's. The calcifications were there on my CT but because so little is known about Fahr's,  my memory loss was written off as a side effect of my seizure disorder. 

Instead,  my seizures were a symptom of my Fahr's. 

It wasn't until a month ago when I started having migraines and vertigo that wouldn't go away with medication that another CT was done and the calcifications were noted and larger. 

Research and expert advice led to the diagnosis.

Fahr's doesn't change how my symptoms are treated,  but it gives knowledge about what's to come and helps me (& my family) to understand why my memory is horrible,  

why I forget words,  

why I have trouble sleeping,  

or why I fall,  

or have no strength,  

or why I'm constantly tired.  

I'll admit,  I'm more terrified with this diagnosis than I was with breast cancer... I never allowed myself to think I wouldn't survive cancer,  but Fahr's means that while I might still be living,  my quality of life might be greatly diminished. 

As always, I'll hold on to my faith and trust in God that He knows what He's doing. 

And pray. Lots of praying.




Comments

Popular Posts